Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Goodly parents

Day 2 / 1 Nephi 1-2

“The Lord’s tender mercies are the very personal and individualized blessings, strength, protection, assurances, guidance, loving kindnesses, consolation, support, and spiritual gifts which we receive from and because of and through the Lord, Jesus Christ… The Lord’s tender mercies do not occur randomly or merely by coincidence. Faithfulness, obedience, and humility invite tender mercies into our lives, and it is often the Lord’s timing that enables us to recognize and treasure these important blessings.”
(Elder David A. Bednar)

The first verse in The Book of Mormon is such a powerful statement and so much can be learned from it.
“I Nephi, having been born of goodly parents, therefore I was taught somewhat in all the
Learning of my father…”
 Parents who “incline thine ear unto wisdom, and apply thine heart to understanding” Proverbs 2:2
 They listened and knew the words of God…”their hearts were opened and they did understand in their hearts the words which were prayed” 3 Nephi 19:33
 Their knowledge was “of their Redeemer and the very points of his doctrine” 1 Nephi 15:14

I too have been born of goodly parents – they have taught me the way of the Lord – they have encouraged me and taught me through their righteous example to listen to and follow the Spirit. Their service to family, friends, and even just acquaintances never ceases. Their love for each other and family is eternal, unconditional love. Their greatest desire is to see and be with all of their family as an eternal family. Everything they do, everything they say, every action they perform expresses this great love that they have for the Lord, for the Gospel of Jesus Christ and for their family. Because of their example, their teachings, their love I too want nothing more than to be encircled in the arms of my family for all eternity as a family unit.

1 Nephi 2:19
“…Blessed art thou, Nephi, because of thy faith, for thou hast sought me diligently, with lowliness of heart.”
 Seeking diligently is a continual process – having a prayer in my heart all day long. Being humble enough to knell morning and night when I address Father in humble prayer thru the Savior Jesus Christ. Knowing that I can’t do it alone. Willing to give back to Him the only thing I can and that is my agency, my free will, my worldly desires, in doing so I will become like Him, worthy of all that He gives to me.

No comments: